Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Ready for the field visit...it's tough being a geographer.

Wednesday at midnight...should be sleeping, but I am letting my mind wonder to the possibilities of Belize. I just finished up a ton of grading and preparing a final to do list before our early departure on Thursday morning. Chris Atchision, my colleague and new co-director of the Belize GIS trip, are headed to Belize Thursday through Tuesday. Tough work, I know!! This is the kind of thing I dreamed about sitting in my first intro geography course in 2000 as an Ohio Wesleyan undergraduate. I feel so energized learning from and working with community members...never done it in an international setting, so I am anxious and excited to see how it goes.

Chris and I have a jam-packed schedule...guided site visits to Xunantunich, Cahal Pech, Blue Hole National Park, the Barrier Reef, and more.

We also have some important meetings set up for our fieldwork. I am particularly interested in chatting with the Belize Botanical Garden and Medicine Trail folks, Sacred Heart Junior College and The Cornerstone Foundation about some potential mapping projects with our students and community residents.

If I have some time and the technology cooperates I plan to post some blog updates of our Belize travels.

More soon,
Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment